|Watch here for update information.
A PHILMONT COLLECTION by Rod Taylor
|A PHILMONT COLLECTION
by Rod Taylor
|“Airdrie” is the proper spelling of the word, and generally pronounced: "a (long a) dre (long e)",
but is named after a Scottish town, which is pronounced as: "air (as in the air we breathe)
dre (long e)".
It was established by Robert Alexander in 1854 and abandoned in 1857.
The purpose was to have an iron furnace and run it in the manner of his native Scotland.
A few ruins still remain, but are inaccessible to the public. The "prison" mentioned is actually
not factual, but a local folk story. In actuality, according to local historian Bobby Anderson:
"About 1884 when the Eddyville Prison was being built, arrangements had been made with
General Buell (retired Civil War General living in the Airdrie community) to quarry stone on
his place to be used in the new prison building. Some 15 prisoners were sent by the state
for the purpose of getting out the rock, who while at Airdrie were quartered in the Stone House.
They remained only a few months, for in the meantime other stone had been discovered...
and transferred the prisoners to the new quarry."
This is accredited to local author Bobby Anderson and historian Otto Rothert.
From: Anniesse Williams, Librarian: Harbin Memorial Public Library,
Greenville, Muhlenberg County, KY
|See the Ridin' Down the Canyon page
for a short biography on Rod
Listen to some short clips & buy his CDs
on the Read another version of Rod's
biography Ridin' Down the Canyon page.
|Please DO NOT PRINT this page.
- Instead -
Go to the Lyrics Download Files page.
There you will find all the lyrics are on
MS Word Documents, (.doc)
already nicely formated for printing